500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, July 19, 2023

The Golden Girls: A Cultural History, by Bernadette Giacomazzo

 

Publication August 15, 2023

Born out of a comedy sketch that at best sounded rather trite and tired, "The Golden Girls" became not just a hit tv show but an icon of sorts. I've read a bit on the series, most recently Marissa DeAngelis' "The Binge Watcher's Guide to the Golden Girls", so I will admit up front to already being familiar with much of the info shared here. Despite this and some repetition, I found it an interesting read. The author also supports her conclusions and information shares with extensive references and notes. 

I won't belabor what is in the book as the blurb does a good job of that, but will say that I enjoyed the extensive look at each actress/character and how their background, both personal and work related, played into their role. Although I watched the show, I was never an obsessive fan, so must admit some of her takes made me go, "Hmm, how did I miss that?" Like the four actresses who portrayed them, the characters are shown to be anything but one-dimensional. Looking back, especially with some of the venom shared concerning controversial issues today, it's rather amazing to think how well the show's writers tackled issues still controversial today. I'll note that the four women didn't just mouth their support for causes, they walked the talk, too, which the book goes into. Rock Hudson even gets a mention. 

Overall, while hardly ground breaking, the book does an admirable job diving into not just the show, including the author's chosen best episodes, but where each character fit into the whole picture. More importantly, it not only gave a voice to senior women, often making their way on their own, but emphasized that a chosen family can be just as vital as a biologic one. No matter what their race, sexuality, or beliefs, that everyone deserves love and friendship. That's the message I got from the book and I thank #NetGalley and #Rowman&Littlefield for allowing me to indulge in a bit of important nostalgia for a bit. Heck, it gives us a good look at society as a whole and how it has not just evolved but how the media played a role.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...