500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, July 27, 2023

Only in New York, by Heather Alexander , Joseph Moffat-Peña (Illustrator)

 

Publication Sept. 26, 2023

Wait! What? Whoa! Do you know what Einstein related item is stored in a safe-deposit box in NYC? Answer at end.

What a fun, fascinating read. As I often do, I found myself idly flipping through twice, enjoying the illustrations and any odd facts that seemed to leap to my eyes. That was fun but so was actually reading the book. I've never been to New York, alas, so this was a bit of a perfectly guided virtual tour for me. Beautifully illustrated with info provided in an easy to read format, usually in individual boxes near the related illustration. There's a map, too, at the beginning of our journey that gives you a perspective on locations. Index at the end, too.

I was fascinated. Let's face it, even those of us who've never been to the state know bits and pieces of its storied history and sites. Even so, I found myself taking endless notes as I flipped and then read through more carefully, notes for me to keep, not for this review. Oh, okay, I'll share a few things. Did you know New York is the only state to border both an ocean and Great Lake? Or, and this one will come as a surprise to those who assume if you've seen NYC you know the entire state, 61% of the state is covered by forests? How about the lion statues guarding the entrance to the NY Public Library? Do you know their names? Or how many states you can see from the 102nd floor viewing platform of the Empire State Building? What museum is on a ship? 

Nope, not telling. You're going to have to read this one to find out the answer to that one and so many, many others. For a book targeting children as an audience, it's amazingly well-researched and full of information on everything from the state's history and culture, to its trees and flowers, people, both famous and otherwise, food, and, well, so much more. I definitely appreciated that the people showcased as notable were diverse and covered a wide range of contributions, from political to the accidental "invention" of soft serve ice cream. And, oh, a fact I appreciated living in Alaska, which is prone to earthquakes. New York's strongest quake was in 1944, a 5.9 one. That's nothing to shrug off, trust me.

Bottom line, loved this and will be looking for more on the rest of our diverse, vast nation. Thanks so much to #NetGalley and #QuartoPublishingGroup - #WideEyedEditions for giving me this fascinating virtual tour. And, oh, for those who scrolled down to the answer to my opening question: Einstein's eyeballs!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...