500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, July 14, 2023

Genius Noses: A Curious Animal Compendium, by Lena Anlauf, Vitali Konstantinov (Illustrations)

 

Publication Sept. 19, 2023

Who'd have expected a book about, well, noses to be both informative and downright entertaining? Not me, to be honest. It was the animal angle that drew me to this one, genius noses or not, and I'm glad it did. I met some animals that, quite frankly, I'd never heard of, and more about how not just their noses work but how different species contribute to the well-being of others as well as the environment. All illustrated with whimsical yet realistic illustrations that often made me grin. In other words, I had fun reading it and learned new things, a win-win for me. 

This should definitely be on the book shelves of science teachers and those who have inquisitive children who love science and animals. You'll even be able to impress them by knowing that elephants have over 40,000 muscles in their trunks and can pick up some 660 pounds of weight with them almost as easily as they can a peanut. Bet they'll be as amused by the name Pinocchio Lizard and Stink Badger as I was, not to mention be amazed where those frequently tongue twister scientific names are derived from. And, that's only the very tip of all the fun, intriguing info within. Toss in a glossary, index, and notes on sources, not to mention a fun world map showing the primary location of the animals discussed and you've got a winner. 

Thanks #NetGalley and #NorthSouthBooks for giving me a sneak peek at these "Genius Noses" critters. I honestly changed my mind a dozen times on which one was most fascinating, a good sign that they all had something of worth to offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...