500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, July 23, 2023

Dead on Target (Agatha Raisin Mysteries, 34), by M.C. Beaton, R.W. Green

 

Publication Sept. 19, 2023

This was the first Agatha Raisin title I've read since the death of her creator, MC Beaton, so I must admit to being a bit wary. Fortunately, I had nothing to be wary over. Green has admirably managed to pick up where Beaton stopped and created a lively, if still prickly, blunt, and in-your-face Agatha. As I discovered, Green had worked with Beaton in the past to help her finish previous works, so it's no wonder he knows the character almost as well as her creator. Be sure to read Green's Foreword, btw, as it is quite revealing of both Beaton and Agatha, not to mention his own role.

Agatha has never suffered fools and that has definitely not changed. In her world, the biggest fool would probably be Detective Chief Inspector Wilkes. She has no patience with his self-important, quick to judgment calls, especially when he names her as a primary suspect. She didn't kill Sir. Godfrey, however, so who did? The suspects are numerous and most seem to have real reasons to want him dead, although, ironically, there are some whose lives are made much more difficult now that he's gone. And, oh, so many secrets and family turmoil. I won't detail the plot, it's both crafty and, well, rather impulsive, but it's a great deal of fun to watch play out with several humorous moments. All your ol' favorites are there, from James and Charles to neighbor Mrs. Bloxby, so I thoroughly enjoyed becoming reacquainted with them. 

I will note that Agatha seemed to be much more insightful about herself than I recall, admitting to herself that she's aging, anxious about it, and still indecisive about the men in her life. I rather like John, so that was a fun one to watch, even if Agatha's impulsive need to push Wilkes buttons creates problems. Bottom line, lots of action, plotting, sub-plots, and both cats and dogs this go-round. Let's face it, Agatha isn't a dog person but, well, she seems to be warming up to them thanks to the wayward Ossian, the lab. I'm looking forward to seeing if that goes anywhere, not to mention seeing how her end-of-the-book plan works out. 

Thanks #NetGalley and #StMartin'sPress - #MinotaurBooks for re-introducing me to the world of Agatha Raisin. I'm thinking I need to make a library run soon and read the books I've skipped, bad me. Kudos to RW Green for making Agatha live for me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...