500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, July 13, 2023

Having a Fudgy Christmas Time, by Nancy CoCo

 

Publication Sept. 26, 2023

I knew I was back on Mackinac Island when the first responders pulled up on snowmobiles. I've fallen in love with this place via this series. We only get a novella this go-round, but it was a fun, quick read. Although the usual main character in this series, Addie, does pop into a few scenes, her only role this time is to offer guidance and good wishes to Carol, who's the main character here. A feisty senior sleuth, Carol is determined to find out who killed Martin Oxford. He's found dead in the senior center and his tale is rather a sad one. 

Despite that, the overall focus of the book is the humor of the senior citizen members of the town book club's occasionally impractical, silly, even dangerous plans to lure out the killer. Addie's boyfriend, Officer Rex Manning, only thought he had problems keeping Addie out of his cases. This seniors are willing if not the most able sleuths in town. Unfortunately, as they learn, sleuthing can be not only dangerous to those involved but their friends and associates. Carol is getting threatening phone calls and prowlers and, then, her next-door neighbor is attacked. Was it connected to the crime? Their investigation? Why doesn't Carol share what info of possible use she gets with Rex immediately? 

Will that reluctance to share prove hazardous to Carol? What do you think? Her husband is out of town and she has only herself to rely on. Who...oh, never mind. Enough teasers. While I always seem to be left wanting more where novellas are involved, this was a fun, quick read and although, bad me, I didn't recall Carol from previous reads of the series, she is one tough lady. Thanks #NetGalley and #KensingtonBooks - #KensingtonCozies for introducing me to her. I'll be on the lookout for her in the next book. In the meantime, I think I may go check out those mouthwatering recipes included. What can I say? I'm a sucker for chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...