500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, July 2, 2023

Pawprints, Prose & Murder (Dickens & Christie #9), by Kathy Manos Penn

 

When I suddenly realized I was more than halfway through the book, I slammed to a halt. What a dilemma. I obviously wanted to know how it would all end but, well, I also wanted to prolong my time with Leta and her circle of friends. I found myself rationing the remainder of the book, so to speak, to savor every moment with characters who feel like ol' friends. 

It was a wonderful visit, almost magical for book lovers as Leta's boyfriend Dave celebrates the publication of his new book. There's a bus tour, fun connections to JM Barrie and his writer friends and connections, and everything is lighthearted and carefree. Or, is it? While Lucy snaps photos of Dave's friends and supporters, which include his publishing house people, Leta can't help but notice that something feels off. There seems to be an odd tension between the publishing bunch. But, the party rolls along and a good time is had by all .... until ... uh-oh .... a guest is found dead. 

If you're familiar with the series, you'll know it didn't take long for the Little Ol' Ladies senior sleuths group, now strengthened by Dave's inclusion, to spring into action. The suspects are rather obvious but, well, the clues are confusing, even contradictory at times . Needless to say, Gemma the lead detective is quite frustrated, but it was fun to see Jonas' role expand.  It's fascinating to watch interactions between not just Leta and Dave, now learning to live together, but don't forget the contribution of the animals in their lives. Did I mention Leta can talk to Dickens the dog and Christie the cat? Yes, I know. I talk to my dog, too, but she doesn't talk back, at least in human language. Even more amazing, this is just all part of the story, and despite their abilities, they're otherwise plain ol' lovable pets, even a tad spoiled. Yes, Dickens, I'm typing about you. Don't be too jealous, though, Christie.

I don't want to give away any more of the plot, check the blurb, but will say the story moves right along and while I'd certainly recommend you read the entire series, the book works nicely as a standalone. Author Kathy Manos Penn does an excellent job bringing a growing cast of characters alive (also listed with a brief description in the book) while giving us a glimpse of life in the Cotswolds, England. You'll even get to visit a manor house and some local, mostly bookish attractions while trying to sort out clues. Given the already easy relationship between Dave and Leta, which we see growing even closer as the book progresses and that he jumps in without hesitation to help in the investigation, I'm already looking forward to the next book.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...