500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, July 16, 2023

Purr Purr Purloin (Ruff McPaw Mysteries #6), by Max Parrott

 

What a delight to have the chance to not only have a good weekend read but for it to lead me to a new-to-me author that I've since added to my "look for" list. t I quickly found myself hooked by the well-rounded characters and Ruff the dog, but also that Angela shares one unwanted characteristic with me. Her mother is suffering from the onset of dementia. I've been in those shoes, so this made the story all the more real for me. But, on to the mystery...

Librarian Nancy Flanders is found dead. At first, the case seems easy. There's a suicide note and no signs of violence. Angela, who is a PI, only becomes involved when boyfriend, 8th grade science teacher David, senses there is more to it than meets the eye. Although their relationship is still young, Angela trusts David's instinct and agrees to look into it. 

That's when things get really interesting with several suspects and red herrings, not to mention a cat covered with a powdery... a powdery what? Oh, Lysander, what have you been into? Ruff, of course, is on the job, sniffing out clues which, unfortunately, don't make sense to Angela at the time. Will she figure it out in time? Will she be able to mend her working relationship with Chief Helbar? What does that number mean? What is going on in Angela's chicken pen?

What...oh, enough teasers. Be sure to get your hands on this one for a fun, interesting read with fleshed out characters and relationships and not just Ruff the dog but pigs, goats, chickens, and a hamster. My thanks to #BookSirens for introducing me to author Max Parrott and his characters. I'll be back and, dang it, I want to know more about the lady who trains race horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...