500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, July 23, 2023

Bright Lights, Big Christmas, by Mary Kay Andrews

 

Publication Sept. 26, 2023

This book made me smile. It made me feel good. It made me want to hug the world. How much did I like this book? I made my dog wait outside longer than she'd like while I hurriedly finished the last few pages. To be honest, I didn't expect to be that taken with the book but found myself not just enjoying the back-and-forth between Kerry and her brother Murphy, but all the characters that we were formally introduced. Note, I said formally, hence leaving out the guys who tried to horn in on the Tolliver's Christmas tree sales. 

In other words, expect to fall in love with these characters, from the hesitant but strong willed Kerry to adorable Austin (and his handsome, kind father, never mind he was known in Kerry's mind as the arrogant Mercedes guy initially) and all the rest. And, oh, don't put your dog out until you're done reading. Grin.

Bottom line, this is a Christmas story, with all the heartwarming feels you would imagine. Hey, there's even an adorable dog and cantankerous old guy who, well, I won't say more about him. He's an important part of the story, however. Reality tells me that NYC isn't quite as charming as depicted but, hey, as I said, this is a Christmas story. Think Hallmark. Think happily ever after. Think...well, whatever makes you smile when you think of Christmas. Christmas trees? Oh, boy, does it have Christmas trees. So, Christmas trees, romance, plural at that, an adorable kid and dog, snow, and all the starry eyed hope and wonder that the Christmas season can muster. Read the blurb for more detail. 

Thank you so much for this much needed dose of joy, #NetGalley and #StMartinsPress. My Daisy dog sends Queenie a doggie kiss, btw, even if her humans' story did mean she had to practice her patience waiting to come back inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...