500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, July 30, 2023

Murders of a Feather: A Veterinarian Cozy Mystery (Dr. Kate Vet Mysteries Book 3), by Eileen Brady

 

Publication October 3, 2023

If you've ever had a pet, it's quite likely you've made a few trips to your local veterinarian clinic. Very few of us, however, have any real clue what vets do on a daily basis when they aren't explaining the selected treatment for your own pet. This book will go a long way toward giving you a better understanding of what goes on besides the receptionist making appointments as they field calls or the vet tech holding your squirming pet for the vet exam. Author Eileen Brady was a practicing vet for some thirty years, so it's no wonder these interactions we rarely see ring true. 

I realized at some point how comfortable I felt with these characters, not to mention the menagerie of critters. All felt like someone or some animal you have met and/or could be friends with. Heck, I even found myself warming up to Babs. That was impressive because I wasn't too fond of her initially. The addition of a romantic interest this go-round was another plus, especially since he is a big-animal vet as opposed to main character Kate's largely small animal focus. It was also a clever use of a feathered friend, so to speak, in the title and to help move the plot along. In other words, I was thoroughly enjoying my read.

The murder? Who'd kill engaged couple Jose and Alicia? Who's this Bruce character and why does he lie about Kate and Mari to the press? And, hey, why is Mari, usually so cool and controlled under such a situation, suddenly obviously uneasy when they discover a second body? Is Babs involved? She does seem to know the female victim after all. Will Kate ever find time to really get to know the intriguing new vet? Or, wait, is he married? Uh, oh. Well, that's assuming she even lives long enough.  

And, hey, who....oh, never mind. Enough teasers. This series is proving addictive for me and it's one I definitely recommend if you're into small towns, animals of all kinds, friends and family, and, hmm, maybe romance. The third in the series, it works well as a standalone, even resolving a lingering issue, but you'd enjoy the first two, too, I'm betting. Thanks #NetGalley and #PoisonedPenPress for inviting me along to ride along with Kate and Mari. I'm already looking forward to seeing what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...