500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Saturday, July 22, 2023

Christmas Mittens Murder, by Lee Hollis , Lynn Cahoon , Maddie Day

 

Publication Sept. 26, 2023

Who knew mittens could be so murderous? In this three story collection from three of my "go-to" authors, the common thread is mittens. Innocent ones, cursed ones, and murder weapon ones. I won't detail the stories as the blub does an excellent job but will say they were quick, easy reads and made you think. I was most taken by Maddie Day's "Murderous Mittens" which is the introduction of a new character/series for Day starring Cece as the new sleuth in town. This novella gives us her background and explains how she got to where she is in the series, which was great. As it happens I have the first of that series, "Murder Uncorked", in my "to be reviewed" pile. Looking forward to it all the more now.

Lee Hollis' "Death of a Christmas Mitten Knitter" was quite quick paced and features a favorite character of mine, Hayley Powell. I couldn't help but chuckle aloud as she lamented in one of her regular columns how she almost failed home ec in high school. Not being very domestic oriented, I definitely could related to that one. She's great at solving crimes, however. 

"Two Christmas Mittens" by Lynn Cahoon, quite frankly, made me heave a sigh of relief when I realized I definitely don't own a pair of red gloves. Set in the magical Magic Springs, Idaho, it involves witches and food, not to mention family dynamics and Mia's struggles to keep her business alive. She's also a bit of a "witch-in-training" for lack of a better term although, quite frankly, she'd prefer to be cooking. Her best friend has been cursed by those seemingly innocuous red mittens, however, and the rush is on to both break the curse and find a murderer.

Thanks #NetGalley and #KensingtonBooks - #KensingtonCozies for allowing me to sate my appetite for Christmas spirits in such a fun way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...