500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Lesson Plan for Murder, by Lori Robbins

 

Having written more than a few lesson plans in my past, including for a stint as an English teacher, I have to admit to being drawn in by the title. Boy, the teachers at Liz's school didn't much like each other, that's for sure. I'm glad my teaching days weren't quite as, well, murderous. 

Murder victim Marcia Deaver most definitely isn't well liked. Maybe not even well tolerated? Surely a missing office chair didn't lead to her murder? Do people kill over such frivolous things? Of course they do. That said, oh, my, Marcia's murder suspect list isn't a short one. It was interesting to see so much of the mystery set in a school setting as we got to know both the victim and accidental sleuth, as well as those about her. Is anyone sad Marcia is dead? Um, maybe? Maybe not? Makes finding her killer all the harder, which is maybe why the police don't turn away Liz as she rather bumbles her way along looking into things. As she discovers, murder investigations aren't as tidy as lesson plans, however. In addition, they can put not just Liz in danger but those she cares about. 

To be honest, I didn't much care about Liz initially. She seemed insecure and a bit envious of Marcia's place in the school hierarchy. She also has a healthy respect for education, however, even while hating wasting time in meetings, a trait which made me warm up to as the story went along. She's bemused and intrigued by Marcia's substitute lesson plans, however. Heck, Marcia didn't even believe Shakespeare wrote his plays, probably a bit much for many to accept. As for the teachers, while I'm happy to say I never encountered any as unfriendly, catty, and selfish as those Liz worked with, they still mostly came across as qualified and well-meaning ... sorta. As a teacher, too, I noted the nod to the importance of the administrative staff and how the principal was given a bit of humanness when Liz noted his usual nervousness at public speaking. Yes, there is humor in the story, too.

Bottom line, this was a promising start to what appears to be a new series. I'm not quite hooked yet but will definitely give the next book out a read. Thanks #BookSirens and author #LoriRobbins for reminding me all I'm missing -- not -- by not being in the classroom anymore. 3.5 rounded up to 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...