500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, August 24, 2023

Dolly Parton, by Tracey E. W. Laird

 

Publication Oct. 10, 2023

When I thought about it, I realized that I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't at the very least like Dolly Parton. I've always enjoyed her music and bigger-than-life stage personality but must admit that it's the down-to-earth, caring Dolly that I've most adored. As such, this book was a great review of some known and some unknown aspects of her life. Nicely illustrated, too, and there were quite a few photos included that I'd never seen, a plus. Toss in the author's easy writing style that pulls from a wide variety of sources (lengthy credits at the end for both words and photos, plus extensive index), and this was a quite enjoyable read. 

Oddly enough, her realness and kindness is what stuck with me more than all the big star photos and awards and wonderful events she's been part of in her life. The 4th of 12 children in a dirt-poor family, her early years were spent without running water and sharing a straw stuffed mattress with siblings, but Dolly seems to have grown up a loved and happy child, nevertheless. You'll enjoy the section early on of her attachment to butterflies, including one that lead her astray only to find her way home with the help of the family's also straying cow. I grew up on a farm, so that made me smile far more than the stories of meeting the presidents and such. 

I won't detail those many meetings or awards since they're surely in the blurb. Instead, I'll simply say that if you're a Dolly fan, you will enjoy this book. Heck, even if you are the rarity and haven't discovered a love of Dolly yet, you'll probably enjoy the book. It reveals her as a real person, not the glittering star we see onstage although, quite frankly, much of her true personality does come forth when performing, whether for the Grand Ol' Opry or simply reading books to children. I enjoy Dolly the performer but think I'd treasure her as a real friend. Thanks so much for letting me read this #NetGalley and #QuartoPublishingGroup - #Becker&Mayer! I thoroughly enjoyed getting to spend some down time hanging out with one of my heroes, Dolly Parton. Yes, Dolly, "I Will Always Love You".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...