500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Tuesday, August 22, 2023

History FACTopia!: Follow Ye Olde Trail of 400 Facts, by Paige Towler, Andy Smith (Illustrator), Britannica Group

 

Publication Sept. 19, 2023

This one is just plain fun. It fed the history major/teacher/nerd part of me. Fun, quirky facts about, well, lots of stuff. It's designed not to be read straight through as the reader follows whatever thread grabs their interest, meaning you'll be able to spend some time going where your whims take you. From pirates to why the Romans, no lie, taxed the pee collected from public toilets to things like a 2000 year old battery found in a clay jar in Iraq. One of my favorites is the noted resemblance of the Vallhund, thought to originally be bred by Vikings, to a dog that looks like a cross between a wolf and a corgi. Yeah, sorta. It's fully illustrated and the illustrations are just as much fun as the words. Hard to pick a favorite but the one of a hunter on skis about to shoot his prey while ahead of him, unnoticed, a tree looms. I could just see the next imaginary panel, the stereotypical cartoon splat against a tree.

I did know quite a bit of the info, go figure, but still lots to take in. Some funny, some interesting, but all fact checked by multiple Britannica writers. If you have any interest in history, either trivial or serious, you will want to get your hands on this book when it comes out about id-September. And, hey, since I've groused about the feral rabbits that so annoy Daisy, did you know Napoleon was once attacked by a mob of bunnies....and lost. And, hey, San Fran folks, I didn't know much of your city was built atop ships abandoned by gold rushers way back when. SO much more, ranging from castles and witches to vampires and mummies and more.There's a glossary and index at the end, not to mention extensive list of online sites to check out more fun facts.

Thanks #NetGalley and #BritannicaBooks - #WhatOnEarth for providing me with such an entertaining, informative peek. I fully enjoyed meandering about wherever my whim took me. Gives new meaning to getting lost in a book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...