500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, August 13, 2023

Lore of the Stars: Folklore and Wisdom from the Skies Above, by Claire Cock-Starkey , Hannah Bess Ross (Illustrator), Alex Hithersay (Editor)

 


Publication October 3, 2023

Fascinating. Fun. Thought Provoking.

I thoroughly enjoyed this look at the "Lore of the Stars". While some of the myths and lore was familiar to me, I was delighted to find much to learn. Richly illustrated, its colorful renderings of the stories had me browsing through the book initially just to enjoy the pictures. Yeah, I'm a kid that way. I'm fuzzy on how to classify this one as it combines factual information with the whimsy and mythology of associated tales and stories. I know that I, for one, since I live in Alaska where the Aurora frequently appears in our darker winter months, will be mentally visualizing the magical horse-drawn carriages soaring above me according to the Estonian myth of the aurora, taking spirit guests to a magnificent wedding in the sky. Not bad entertainment, I'd say, and I've been lucky enough to stand on my own deck and enjoy the dancing lights as their colors dance above me. 

But, anyway, I particularly liked that the tales were drawn from all over, showing both the differences and similarities of cultures. Animal symbolism was common in all, I noted. As noted, the whimsical illustrations added much to the magic derived from the realities of shared experiences of cultures around the world. While officially targeting older children, I would think any age level will thoroughly enjoy this one. In fact, if you're like this no-longer-a-child, you'll find yourself going back to it repeatedly to flip through (I definitely suggest you get a print copy as it was a tad difficult to navigate all my meandering via digital) following your own whims. 

It is, however, nicely organized and offers both a glossary and index at the end. As an adult, I rather wished for a more complete index but, well, for a children's book, it's ample. My favorite bit of lore changed repeatedly, so it's difficult to offer up a favorite, although being a dog person, I enjoyed the familiar story of Orion and his faithful spirit dog companions, Canis Major and Canis Minor, although the Cherokee tale of how the Milky Way came to be was not just fun but a new one to me. 

Bottom line, if you've any interest in the mythology and lore of the sky above us, this one is for you. If you're a teacher, it should definitely be on your shelf. Heck, I'd think even a savvy science teacher could easily use it as a teaching tool to engage students' attention and imaginations. While my adult mind craved more full myths, there is so much to digest that this one will hold your attention and, as noted earlier, it's a book you'll want to revisit again and again. Thanks #NetGalley and ##QuartoPublishingGroup - #WideEyedEditions for sharing this wonderful rendering of international lore/mythology attached to our heaves through the ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...