500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Saturday, August 19, 2023

A Nutcracker Nightmare (Killer Chocolate #2), by Christina Romeril

 

Publication October 17, 2023

Alex and Hannah, twin sisters who own the chocolates and mystery shop, seem to have the bad luck of stumbling over bodies. That said, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be mourning Kyle's death, either. Too bad Hannah is a suspect. 

Unable to calmly step aside, Alex seems unable to keep herself from asking not-so-subtle questions and pondering scenarios and clues. She barely hesitates even after receiving a warning note on her windshield and later being almost deliberately run over while out walking her dog, Watson. She's pretty obvious about her sleuthing. How obvious? So obvious even the anonymous gossip rag identifies her as someone prone to both finding dead bodies and sleuthing. Of course, I should also note that she's still intent upon walking the dog and even searching out and confronting suspected  murderers. Probably not the best idea, huh?

So, who killed Kyle? Kyle is so obnoxious, arrogant, and, um, let's say too hands-on with women that the list would possibly run to pages. I mean, everyone seemed to have a motive. Well, except Watson. In the meantime, both Alex and Hannah are trying to make their blooming relationships work, which is a bit complicated when Duncan, Hannah's boyfriend, is faced with officially having to keep her on the police suspect list. Alex's is a bit less scary but complicated as she can't figure out what's going on with Tom. Watching them work on their normal lives, which includes lots of chocolate and baking, was interesting. We even get to see a new trick they've taught Watson, who is adorable. But, wait! More bodies? Uh-oh....

Seriously, enough teasers. While I spent a good portion of the book annoyed at Alex for not showing common sense much of the time and what seemed a slow start, I liked the sisters and found the mystery interesting. And, sigh, I didn't guess whodunit until the reveal. Didn't see that one coming although it made sense when I thought back. 

So, sit back and enjoy the ride and, oh, be prepared for an overwhelming yen for chocolate and more chocolate before you're done reading. You'll enjoy the recipes at the end which are in more of a conversational tone as they guide you. I felt like the author was talking to me rather than just handing me a recipe card and wishing me luck. Thanks #NetGalley and #CrookedLaneBooks for letting me indulge the chocoholic in me with words and recipes. My Daisy dog says to give Watson a virtual treat, btw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...