500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, August 11, 2023

Murder in the Bookshop, by Anita Davison


 Publication August 22, 2023

World War I, German spies, obnoxious employees, suffragettes, bombings, hidden identities, family secrets, and, well, more abound. Being a history buff, I was drawn to the historical aspects of it. Although I ultimately liked the characters and found the mystery intriguing, like all first-in-a-series books, it seemed to take its time unfolding. Unfortunately, while it had its moments, the pace rarely picked up, even in the wake of bombings and wreckage. I do see a great deal of potential here, however, given the era and characters, so wound up rounding up my 3.5 to a 4 star rating.

Hannah seems a mild-mannered sort initially, simply trying to help out her much flashier Aunt Violet. Aunt Violet has secrets of her own, but is quite well-known in suffragette circles and her unconventional life style, which Hannah learns more about as the book progresses. All is not as it seems, let's just say. Hannah, of course, has her own troubles, some romantic, some not, but seems to be growing in confidence as the story progresses, hence my hope for future books. There's also a potential romantic interest, albeit with major complications. And, let's not forget Bartleby, the bookshop cat. Ivy may not like him but he's doing marvels at reducing the mice population at the bookshop. 

So, who killed Hannah's friend Lily-Anne? Why had Lily-Anne urgently wanted to talk to Hannah? Should Hannah be worried when Monty tells her she'll be sorry for firing him? He does seem awfully confident. And, Darius? Is he a good guy or not? Why is Hannah (among many) so reluctant to believe bombings have actually happened? How do the Germans get their info on where to bomb anyway? Why is Hannah so determined to....oh, never mind. Enough teasers. While this one didn't quite capture my reader's heart, it has the potential do so, I believe, and I'll be on the lookout for the next offering. Thanks. #NetGalley and #BoldwoodBooks for introducing me to Hannah. I've read a bunch of books set in England in WWII but found it intriguing to get a glimpse of the WWI, 1915 life in England.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...