500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Murder at the Bake Sale, by Lee Hollis


Lipstick taser?

Now that I have your attention I'll note that though it took me longer to get into this book than expected, once I got into it I was thoroughly into it. I had the advantage of having read the first in the series and found the budding partnership between Maya and Sandra intriguing, so it was doubly interesting to see how it had progressed. They are definitely an odd couple, with layers of illusion they've garbed themselves with the protect their inner core, layers that are slowly being peeled away in "A Murder at the Bake Sale". I honestly had no clue who the murderer was until the very end. With several parallel stories drawn from both the political and real world, There are many, many things going on within the larger whole. The relationships Maya and Sandra have with their husbands is given a bit more emphasis here, with decisions being made that will impact more than just Maya and Sandra.  One of my main takeaways from the book is how the smallest action or lack of action can impact so many, ranging from high school students and school staff to political movers and shakers, not to mention ones own children. Thus, as the book wound up some loose ends, I couldn't help feeling both satisfied and sad. Real life has a way of doing that and author Lee Hollis pulls us into not just Maya and Sandra's worlds but the world and people about them. 

Despite it taking me awhile to get into the book, which may be as much my fault as the plot, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and ultimately went with the five star rating. I came away thinking of, well, so many things and looking forward to the next visit to Maya and Sandra. One of the things I'm thinking of, of course, is that darn lipstick taser. While I'm checking on where to buy one, make sure you add this one to your "To Be Read" list. 

Thank you #NetGalley and #Kensington Books for the ARC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...