500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, November 18, 2021

Long Overdue at the Lakeside Library (Lakeside Library Mystery #2,) by Holly Danvers


Rain and Julia could be the models for a "seriously amateur sleuths" poster.

I cringed at some of their decisions, cringed even while giving Julia some leeway given her husband Nick's position as the chief suspect. Rain's role seemed to be the more cautious one although, quite frankly, despite her courage and determination to help her friends, she didn't do a real good job of that most of the time. I cringed at her glee of hearing about a library patron's granddaughter who'd been troubled by the death of the victim because she knew him, without giving a second's thought at that moment to what additional harm such questioning might cause. Don't get me wrong. Rain seems a kind, caring person but, well, caring doesn't always lead to intelligent actions. I honestly alternately liked her and then a page or two later wanted to shake some sense into her.

Bottom line, the story moves along relatively quickly as we follow the two friends in their efforts to find the real killer.They're doing all this in the midst of a bitterly cold winter, too, which spoke to me as, ironically, just as I picked up the book to read, my own temps dropped into negative numbers. Finally, I should note, there is a budding love triangle, too, for those who enjoy that aspect of some cozy mysteries. At this point I'm probably intrigued enough by the setting and occasionally humorous situations Rain and Julia get themselves into to keep reading this series.....even while wanting to sit them down and give them a good shaking at times, I'm sure.

Thank you #NetGalley and #CrookedLaneBooks for the copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Olive You to Death (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #16), by Lynn Cahoon

 Publication June 4, 2024 Let's see, missing bride, hidden treasure, and, oh, yeah, a dead body. I mean, it isn't like Jill doesn...