500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Mrs. Jeffries and the Midwinter Murders (Mrs. Jeffries #40), by Emily Brightwell

First, how the heck did I miss the first 39 books in this series? Wow. Impressive. 

Second, coming off reading several fast paced, intense murder mysteries in a row, the slower pace of this one was actually quite nice. It had, well, Victorian sensibilities and a slower, more measured pace than more modern mysteries tend to do. I liked that although I'm honest enough to say I probably wouldn't like that full time, especially given the repetition involved as the helpful crew report back to each other daily. No razzle dazzle, just good ol' fashioned sleuthing and working as a team here as Mrs. Jeffries and the other characters, all of whom we got to meet briefly but sufficiently for the plot, secretly assist "their" Inspector Witherspoon to solve the locked room Christmas murder mystery. The suspects are intriguing themselves, most seemingly having a reason to kill, and I loved the teamwork and organization displayed by Witherspoon's unknown to him assistant sleuths. All and all, a delightful, intriguing read with lots of teamwork and obvious love and caring amongst the crew around Mrs. Jeffries and Inspector Witherspoon. I think I'm going to have to go do some serious catching up with this new to me series. 

Thanks to #NetGalley and #BerkleyPublishingGroup for the ARC and for introducing me to a delightful series I've somehow missed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...