500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Monday, November 29, 2021

Mystery at Magpie Lodge (Eve Mallow Mystery #7), by Clare Chase


This one kept me guessing. There were so many intriguing red herrings and interesting suspects that I found myself unable to pin down in my own mind who the killer was. Of course, as Eve Mallow puts together all the clues at the end, I thought, "Of course."


It was fascinating to spend time in Eve's mind, so to speak. Even though I couldn't quite figure out why she so liked the victim initially, her thought process was fascinating and thorough. Even when she was in danger, it was hard at work not just trying to figure out an escape but pulling loose ends together to make it all make sense to her. She's helped along the way, of course, by friends, including the mysterious Robin and his past police ties, a lover whose true connection to her must remain secret for now. And, Gus, her trusty canine companion, who is perhaps her most frequent sounding board. I liked how she at times had to talk things out with him just to organize them, so to speak, in her mind. As one owned by a dog, I thoroughly understood that inclination.

Bottom line, a thoroughly enjoyable read that reminds me of some of the classic mysteries I've read in the past. Eve isn't rash, she has no desire to rush into danger, which was reassuring given the frequent rashness of modern amateur sleuths. I liked that, even in the situation where she found herself in a dangerous situation, she had thought it through and tried to ensure "backup". I liked her. I liked Robin. I liked Gus. I liked her friends. I enjoyed visiting their communities, even if I don't think I'd have been as prone to walking my dog in the wooded areas as she was. I'll be going back and reading the previous books in this series, which was new to me, I think, not to mention looking forward to sharing Eve's thoughtful investigations in the future.

Thank you #NetGalley and #Bookouture for the ARC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Olive You to Death (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #16), by Lynn Cahoon

 Publication June 4, 2024 Let's see, missing bride, hidden treasure, and, oh, yeah, a dead body. I mean, it isn't like Jill doesn...