500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, June 18, 2023

Halloween Cupcake Murder, by Carlene O'Connor , Liz Ireland , Carol J. Perry

 

Publication August 22, 2023

This is a compilation from three different authors, one of which was unfamiiar to me. Given the cover, O'Connor's piece took me by surprise as it was heavier in tone, albeit still with a touch of humor and family. It centers about the Celtic tradition of celebrating the Samhain, with spooky, albeit human characters and a mystical cave thought to be a portal where all sorts of demons and monsters cross over into the human world one day a year. What day? You guessed it. Halloween. I get the idea that main character Tara is a crossover from another of the author's books but once I settled into the tone of the story, although I rather wished I knew more, works fine as as a short standalone. 

Liz Ireland's story is set in the unexpected setting of Santaland. As the book opens, the elves are hard at work preparing for what is still a relatively unfamiliar holiday to them, Halloween. And, oh, my gosh, there's a shortage of candy corn after a shipment of candy corn has seemingly been stolen. The whimsical, lighthearted tone allows us to easily fall into a world of not just rival elves but talking snowmen and the like, so this one was the lighthearted read I had expected. And, who knew Mrs. Claus was a sleuth?

Finally, Carol J. Perry was a new-to-me author but a situation I hope to remedy soon. I have to admit, even having an ancestor who was hanged as a with in Salem I love stories set there. This one features Lee Barrett, whose cat finds a stray cat. Hey, it's Halloween. Cats are mystical creatures anyway, so worked for me. Then a baker goes missing. Then.... oh, read the book and find out. I was intrigued enough to have now added a few of Perry's books to my list, so I imagine you won't be sorry. Thanks #NetGalley and #KensingtonBooks - #KensingtonCozies for this fun bit of Halloween magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...