500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Tuesday, September 6, 2022

The Wedding Ranch, by Nancy Naigle

 


Publication Dec. 6, 2022 (I just love the cover)

Although the beginning of this was sweet, with eventual ex-husband Craig giving Lorri the mastiff puppy, which they name Mister, it also failed to engage me as much as I expected. I'm going to blame that on myself, however, as I was trying out a program that reads the book to me rather than reading myself, so I may have been more focused on that aspect than the actual story itself, bad me. In any case, Mister is a loyal, lovable hit and I liked Lorri, but considered Craig a selfish jerk. Lorri's friends, aside from the "foot-in-her-mouth" Stacy were also likable thought I didn't feel we intially got to know them well. Again, may have just been the format as I didn't give that up until later. Ryder on the surface initially seems the typical cowboy type, reticent, lover of the land, and shunning "having fun" as his friends urge after the death of his wife and child some years ago. Seven, he would remind you quickly. That quick response is evidence of the depth of the pain remaining.

Given the title of the book, I was expecting the ranch to be a more prominent part of the story, especially after its introduction by owner/managers Ross and Reese. Ryder is their only backer, it's a family thing, and they're excited to have gotten a request from a country music star and prominent photographer to host their wedding events. Ryder, again, the loner cowboy sort, opts to camp out after agreeing to allow them to use his home for the couple. Don't get me wrong, the ranch doesn't just vanish from the story but it isn't really as important a part of the plot as I'd expected, either, aside from the symbolic images the title conjures up.

Ryder and Lorri, of course, do eventually meet after we're treated to their individual stories in alternating sections. I'm not sure I'd call Ryder rescuing Lorri from a cranky steer at the fair a "meet cute" but it served its purpose. I definitely liked that it also didn't instigate an immediate, hot relationship. They approach their friendship slowly, both cautious of being hurt again, and it rang more true than most "meet cute" couples' meetings. 

I won't detail the plot further as part of the fun is simply being that proverbial fly-on-the-wall as you watch these two wary people slowly open up to each other as they find out they have more in common than not. Oh, and Mister, the huge mastiff puppy (think it said he'd weigh in at about 180 lbs) certainly has a role to play. If you're a Hallmark fan, you'll love this one. It's an easy read, with characters with depth, surrounded by likable friends and family, with twists and turns on the road to happiness. Definitely worth a read. 

Thanks #NetGalley and #StMartin'sPress for introducing me to the "Wedding Ranch" characters. Now, true, Mister might be a bit intimidating on first meet but he's a real character, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...