500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, September 23, 2022

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Deluxe Edition, Agatha Christie

 

Deluxe Edition available Oct. 25, 2022

What a pleasure to be reminded why Agatha Christie is the once and forever Queen of Mystery. It's been years since I first read this one but it was one of the books that started my mystery reading craze. Even knowing "whodunit", it was a delight to renew my acquaintance with Roger Ackroyd. I still found myself fully engrossed in looking for clues that I surely missed my first time reading, appreciating the adroit cleverness of the red herrings and, of course, Hercule Poirot's "little grey cells" as he steadily, expertly identified the killer. Maybe it's time I re-read the classics, huh?

I'm certainly not going to rehash the plot details here. If you haven't read the book or have simply forgotten who was guilty, the joy of this classic is in experiencing it as it unfolds to the startling conclusion. Given the volumes that have been written about not just this book alone but Agatha Christie, let's face it, there's little new I can add other than to echo that it deserves the accolades it has received and to be read and reread and enjoyed over and over. After all, it set the standard, especially for locked room mysteries. 

Kudos to #PushkinPress - #PushkinVertigo for reissuing this deluxe, hard covered edition. It'll make the perfect gift for your mystery loving friends or, well, yourself. Thanks #NetGalley for letting me know about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...