500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Saturday, September 17, 2022

The Broken Spine: A Beloved Bookroom Mystery, Book 1


The Broken Spine: A Beloved Bookroom Mystery, Book 1
 

By Dorothy St. James 


I'm rather torn on how to rate the book. While I didn't love it, something of a surprise to my book loving self, I didn't hate it, either. As I think about it, I think it's because I never quite felt like I got to know any of the characters enough to like or dislike them.

That said, I really wasn't fond of Trudell, the main character. She needs some anger management, although her adoption of the stray she dubs Dewey speaks well for how she may evolve. Not only was she willing, it appears, to go to prison for a murder she didn't commit to protect her beloved books but the events at the library seem unrealistic. I cannot imagine someone didn't notice. 

There were flashes of promise, however, that gives me hope that this new series will improve as it goes along and the characters better emerge and interact. So, bottom line, not what I expected based on reading other b


No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...