500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Saturday, August 17, 2024

Tales of Ancient Egypt: Myths & Adventures from the Land of the Pyramids, by by Hugo D. Cook, Neon Squid, Narrated by Melinda Sewak

 


 

Audio 3h 22m     Available October 1, 2024

Absolutely fascinating and fun. I was immediately hooked by the narrator's seeming enthusiasm for her topic. You felt like she was into what she was narrating and that is a real plus. The author has a long-time fascination with Egypt, too, so a double win. The tone is very conversational and you almost feel like you're sitting around a study while the narrator simply shares story after story with you. As luck would have it, I recently reviewed another book focused on Egyptian mythology, so I was thoroughly enjoying having my memory tweaked. I enjoyed the music and occasional "sound effect" playing behind the narration, too. Not intrusive and added to the atmosphere. Kudos to narrator Melinda Sewak.

As for the contents, I gave up on taking notes early on simply to enjoy the stories. I did note down that it started from well, the beginning, sharing how Egyptians explained how everything began and the various gods role in that aspect. The stories included non-gods, too, hence the title of Tales of Ancient Egypt, not of Egyptian mythology. I won't even try to list them all but will note that topics like hieroglyphics and the Rosetta Stone are discussed, as well as the astonishing accuracy of the Great Pyramid as a directional tool. You'll even get to visit the inside of a tomb as well as imagine battles involving the likes of not just elephants but, seriously, ostriches. And....so much more. 

While designed around the idea of having young readers/listeners, my hunch, based on my own glee as I listened, is that adults may be equally drawn to this book. Social Studies teachers, this one would make a great add to your bookshelves, both at home and school. It'd also make a great gift. I had the audio version and could envision sharing one or two of these stories at a time toward the end of the class, so check this one out for purchase NOW. Thanks #MacmillanAudio - #MacmillanYoungReaders for giving me an early peek at this fascinating book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wonderful Words That Tell a Tale: An etymological exploration of over 100 everyday words, by Tom Read Wilson, Ian Morris (illustrator)

 Publication October 1, 2024 Remember how much we enjoyed playing with words in, oh, so many ways as kids? Rolling around multi-syllable, al...