500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Saturday, August 10, 2024

Counting Winter, by Nancy White Carlstrom, Claudia McGehee (illustrator)

 

Publication Sept. 24, 2024

As is my usual custom, I flipped through the book initially to get a feel for the illustrations. I was impressed. As I skimmed through again, this time for the words, I was doubly impressed. My immediate take was that the author and illustrator just had to be from my chosen home of Alaska or, at the very least, places north. As it turned out, I was basically right. While the illustrator lives in Iowa City and has visited Alaska, the author is a former resident of Alaska and still has family there. Whether you've ever lived or visited Alaska, of course, if you live where there is snow, many of these scenes will look familiar. And, before you ask why no bears, it's winter. Bears hibernate, thus they're unlikely sightings in winter. Not impossible but rare. Even Alaska's moose don't get a page for themselves albeit can be spotted on, say, the chickadee page.

In any case, by now I'm sure you've figured out that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Not only do you get to help your child learn to count via illustrations but they will learn a bit about the wildlife pictured, too. The lyrical test for each is short but manage to convey both a bit about the animal pictured and how they may react to the arrival of winter. There's a chart at the end with each of the animals the child will meet with more information, too, an added bonus. 

There's a great deal to look for in the illustrations, too, which are described as sketchbook art. While quite realistic, there's just enough whimsy involved to add a touch of magic and fun. My favorite was the musk ox illustration. Nope. Not telling you why except to say it'll probably draw a smile from even the most serious minded child. Also, although I was reading on my phone and didn't try to check, but my hunch is that each individual snowflake that appears is exactly that, individual in design, just like real snowflakes. In other words, this book seems to have been done with love and care and it shows. It'd make a great gift, too, and just looking at the pictures should inspire the child to make up their own stories at times. Thanks #NetGalley and #Wm.B.EerdmansPublishingCompany for sharing this delightful work of winter reality and magic with me. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wonderful Words That Tell a Tale: An etymological exploration of over 100 everyday words, by Tom Read Wilson, Ian Morris (illustrator)

 Publication October 1, 2024 Remember how much we enjoyed playing with words in, oh, so many ways as kids? Rolling around multi-syllable, al...