500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, August 4, 2024

Anne of Green Gables, by Katherine Woodfine (adapter) and Isabelle Follath (illustrator)

 


Publication September 3, 2024

Charming. Absolutely charming. Lovely, beautiful illustrations.

I was both delighted with this illustrated retelling of the story of "Anne of Green Gables" and the fact that I actually remembered much of the story from my decades ago reading. Some stories stick with you and this is one of them. The smart, imaginative Anne that I remembered is here. The format is lovely and, oh, my, the illustrations are just perfect. It's easy to envision them being framed and hanging on ones walls. I’m a 

The story is universal. A young girl, having lost her parents, has to find her way in a new family and setting. Anne is likable and occasionally full of mischief but determined to convince her new family to allow her to stay. She's smart and also driven to be successful, ultimately making friends while enjoying the enchanting Green Gables. It was a delight to experience her growing up all over again and such a sweet ending.

The story is a classic and my brief synopsis leaves much out but the book will fill that void, managing to retain the main plot points while making the story more concise and accessible to young readers. I haven't looked it up but do recall the original being lengthy to my own young eyes, so that is surely a plus. My thanks to #NetGalley and #NosyCrowInc for allowing me to revisit my childhood with Anne as I watch her grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wonderful Words That Tell a Tale: An etymological exploration of over 100 everyday words, by Tom Read Wilson, Ian Morris (illustrator)

 Publication October 1, 2024 Remember how much we enjoyed playing with words in, oh, so many ways as kids? Rolling around multi-syllable, al...