500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, August 29, 2024

A Holiday for Homicide, by Devon Delaney

 

Publication Sept. 17, 2024

If you're a foodie or fan of cozy mysteries, or simply enjoy watching cooking shows, this book is for you. While I'm hardly the primary audience, not being a cooking show fan, I found the whole reality show idea intriguing. This was definitely a cooking show with a twist and that doesn't even include the murder before it even began. There's even yarn and rugs for those so inclined.

While the plot is deceptively simple, Sherry Oliveri is selected to take part in a unique cooking show in her hometown, there's nothing simple about the behind the scenes action. Who killed the show's production assistant Rachel? Sherry's friend Kat seems to know her from the past but, whoa, then Kat goes missing, too. What's going on? It's all complicated by confidentiality clauses in the contracts signed for the show, so technically Sherry isn't even supposed to confirm she's on the show, let alone talk about the missing assistant. But, phew, Kat shows up although she's rather reticent about talking, too. In the meantime, Det. Bease is conferring with Sherry, a nice difference from the usual conflict in cozies between the law and amateur sleuths. Unfortunately, Sherry doesn't really have any answers for him. Will they figure out the killer before another victim is claimed? I'm not telling but between the mystery and the uniquely cool weirdness of the cooking competition, the book held my interest despite a relatively slow, to me, beginning. I honestly attribute that to my own lack of interest in cooking shows, hence don't let that sway your choice.

It's a fun read that, once I got into the rhythm of things, held my interest long past my usual bedtime. I liked the characters, from the rather busy body neighbors to boyfriend Don, who Sherry is growing increasingly close to. The cryptic messages appearing on napkins at Sherry's friend Pep's food truck are an added mystery. Or clue. Or just a distraction? Nope, not telling. Read the book. I'd suggest you have some yummy treats handy as you read and you may be tempted to try the recipes at the end. Thanks #BeyondThePagePublishing for allowing me this sneak peek into Sherry's always interesting life. I'm looking forward to seeing where some of the relationships mentioned are heading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wonderful Words That Tell a Tale: An etymological exploration of over 100 everyday words, by Tom Read Wilson, Ian Morris (illustrator)

 Publication October 1, 2024 Remember how much we enjoyed playing with words in, oh, so many ways as kids? Rolling around multi-syllable, al...