500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, August 25, 2024

Sally's Snow Day, by Andrew Larsen, Dawn Lo (illustrator)


 Publication October 15, 2024

Having experienced my own dogs' snow days, I was naturally drawn to this book. My Florida dogs that moved here to Alaska with me were a hoot, let's just say. For those unaware, just getting those booties on their feet can be a workout in itself. I'll spare you the hard won information I have on how to select or make booties on your own. Grin.

In any case, reading about how Sally had to be properly dressed to go outdoors in the cold was cute. It should be a nice way to segue into making reluctant humans less resistant to the process. While not all dogs need booties and coats for the cold, we mere humans definitely do need protection unless we want to turn into human icicles. The artwork is fun and colorful, its simple style appealing to the target audience of ages 3-5, I'm sure. Enough detail to make it interesting without overwhelming. While the text is sparse, it's designed for that young audience and tells the story well. The author even manages to get in some subtle counting practice as well as science, ie regarding snowflakes. Cute idea, too, about building the snowdogs. I guess the author didn't feel the age-old caution about avoiding the yellow snow didn't fit with a kids' book, huh? 

Bottom line, a nicely done, cute story that even showcases the diversity of how the dogs look with all their different looks and outfits. Little ones should enjoy this story and it even brought a smile to my face. Thanks #OrcaBookPublishers for reminding me what fun those first few snow days can be with our furry friends. My Daisy enjoys her walks in the snow, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wonderful Words That Tell a Tale: An etymological exploration of over 100 everyday words, by Tom Read Wilson, Ian Morris (illustrator)

 Publication October 1, 2024 Remember how much we enjoyed playing with words in, oh, so many ways as kids? Rolling around multi-syllable, al...