500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, August 22, 2024

Murder on the Nile (A Lady Eleanor Swift Mystery #19), by Verity Bright

 

Publication Sept. 28, 2024

Egypt has always fascinated me. Having read a few non-fiction books focused on Egypt, I jumped at the opportunity to read this fictionalized account set in 1924. It'd also been quite some time since I  checked up on the events in Lady Eleanor Swift's life. How long? Actually, I'm not sure, but obviously awhile since she was still relatively new to her title when I last tuned in. As much as I enjoy her growing friendship with Clifford, who seems to be the perfect lady's butler, I did miss getting to catch up with Hugh and the ladies of the manor until late in the story. That said, Egypt itself makes for a fascinating character in a way, particularly with the detailed descriptions we get from the author. I'm glad she made Lady Eleanor such an observant character, opening the way for those details. 

Eleanor is quite likable and seems able to talk to everyone, probably due to her past history of world travel. As it was, however, I had to chuckle at her almost bubbly efforts to make conversation with the other passengers, none of whom seemed particularly interested in being social. That Eleanor persists, tells you about her personality, one not easily detoured or put off by someone. I could relate somewhat to the others this time as I'm one of those who frequently prefers to simply sit and read or gaze at the world about me, hard to do when someone as chatty as Eleanor is about. Her trust and admiration for Clifford, the butler-friend who accompanies on this voyage, is definitely fun to watch. Clifford is a fascinating character in his own right and I fear I may have missed some character reveals of him while on hiatus from this series. He seems unflappable and to almost know what Eleanor is thinking or needs before she even does at times. He's also protective and, even better, seems to be good at it. I mean, there are crocodiles.

As for the supporting cast this go-round, I never felt I got to know them well, though I'll blame the road work outside my window for that. There were interesting stories behind the characters but all seemed tied to the mystery. Ah, the mystery? Who killed Lieutenant Baxter. Even more delicious for mystery buffs, the body is found in a locked room of the (not so luxurious) SS Cleopatra. Shades of Agatha Christie. We do get to visit some pyramids, however, and actually spend time inside a tomb. Let's just say, that isn't for those with claustrophobia. There are also references to the discovery of King Tut's tomb and the demand for Egyptian artifacts, legal or otherwise. But, how is this all tied to the death of Baxter? Well, I'm not telling but will admit to not quite figuring it out myself prior to the reveal. The clues were tricky, let's just say, and I obviously need to up my sleuthing game. The killer is diabolical and there are reasons behind their actions that do help it all make sense in the end. Thanks #Bookouture for letting me catch up with Lady Eleanor again with this early peek at her adventurous life. I will be making an effort to catch up again, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wonderful Words That Tell a Tale: An etymological exploration of over 100 everyday words, by Tom Read Wilson, Ian Morris (illustrator)

 Publication October 1, 2024 Remember how much we enjoyed playing with words in, oh, so many ways as kids? Rolling around multi-syllable, al...