500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, June 26, 2024

The Weedflower, by Elizabeth Davaze, Marianne Ferrer (illustrator)


 Publication August 13, 2024

Perfect timing. I'm sitting by my front window watching dandelion "fluff" floating and dancing in the breeze as I type. I am also the neighbor who postponed getting my yard mowed an extra week to allow myself not just more time to enjoy the sea of yellow but feed the pollinators. I loved seeing that burst of yellow. As a result, I thoroughly related to the young girl, Sam, finding joy in the growth and tenacity of the "weedflower". 

On a deeper level, I liked the big idea that if something is nurtured and loved, it may flourish, spreading beauty and love even further. Even when someone (in this case adults) don't seem to appreciate it, the potential is there. The illustrations were simple, largely in warm colors but with b/w scattered throughout. The teacher in me searched for a meaning of the juxtapositioning of color and lack of color but could find none, but maybe you'll do better. In any case, the idea that one lone, loving gesture can spread is clearly shown. Anyone familiar with dandelions knows they don't need much encouragement but the concept that children flourish best when loved and nurtured is clear. Actually, all living beings do. 

Bottom line, while it was difficult for this former country girl to imagine even a city child could be unfamiliar with dandelions despite the frequent, disparaging term "weed" being applied to them, I loved the idea of a child being enthralled by that one bit of nature's bounty. I did wish at least one of the teachers had been part of the miracle, quite frankly, but, nevertheless, I enjoyed the story and ideas it shared on all levels. Thanks #NetGalley and #OwlKids for reminding us of the beauty of some of the smallest miracles of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Return to Common Sense: How to Fix America Before We Really Blow It, by Leigh McGowan

  Publication Sept. 17, 2024 "Common sense is not so common." -- Voltaire This should be must reading for anyone interested in pol...