500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

The Royal Palaces: Secrets and Scandals, by Kate Williams , James Oses (illustrator)


 Publication August 20, 2024

Fantastic read. Fascinating bit of history and yes, scandalous bits, too, that will definitely hold any history buff's attention. Whether history buff, intrigued by British history and eager to learn more secrets about notables and nobles, not to mention royalty, there's something for everyone, even those who come for the architecture. You're in for a treat.

Let's just say, I took pages of notes as I read, at least initially. Ultimately I got so caught up in it all that the notes largely fell by the wayside. Don't worry, though. I'm not going to flood you with the product of my note taking. There are too many facets to them to give you the full picture..... and the watercolor artwork is wonderful.... so I'll restrain myself. I will, however, do something I rarely do on the blog and share part of the official book blurb, much as I always feel like that's cheating:

"Included in the book are such famous royal residences as Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle, but also lesser-known locations such as Falkland Palace and Beaumaris Castle. Covering the breadth of British history, there are tales from the Medieval era to the present.

Among the palaces included are:

  • Hatfield House, where young Elizabeth I held court before finding out she would become queen
  • Whitehall Palace and Banqueting Hall, home to Charles II's secret laboratory, where he tried to create an elixir of youth using human skulls
  • Glamis Castle, the inspiration for Shakespeare’s Macbeth
  • Greenwich Palace, where Elizabeth I survived an assassination attempt when poison was placed in her saddle
  • Frogmore House, a long-time royal residence used by Queen Charlotte, King George V and Princess Alexandra
  • Osborne House, designed by Prince Albert in the style of an Italian Renaissance palazzo
  • Windsor Castle, the famous residence of Queen Elizabeth II before her death

Revel in the glory and glamor of royal life, as well as the salacious scandals that defined these palaces. The book is vividly brought to life by numerous beautiful illustrations by James Oses, and will be irresistible to anyone interested in British royalty and the history of Great Britain."

As for my own take on the book, I obviously enjoyed it. The artwork is just detailed enough to create a sense of what might be seen without distracting you from the content. I mean, so many of these sites look absolutely serene and even bucolic, never mind the horror and bloodshed that may have happened there. Let's just say, Charles II's residency at Whitehall made me shiver. While the various stories aren't necessarily connected, the author does an excellent job giving them their place in time and the role the sites played in events, plus giving s the cast of players. True, some of the facts shared may seem rather meaningless but, well, it's still somehow awe inspiring to know how many bedrooms are in Buckingham Palace, not to mention bathrooms, offices, and such. 

Each site is beautifully illustrated. The author somehow manages to dish the more scandalous bits without quite morphing into gossip, making it seem like you're sitting in one of those countless sitting rooms talking one-on-one with her. Even better, silly as, say, the number of rooms may be, there are countless fascinating bits about the people who lived and worked there, too. Even casual fans will find something of interest within, perhaps something they've never thought about. And, hey, we even get to visit Macbeth's stomping grounds, fictional though he may be. And, and, and....so much more, even details about the 1974 attempted kidnapping of Princess Anne. And, hey, how could I not mention that one of the illustrations captures the late Queen Elizabeth's corgis at rest. Thanks #NetGalley and #QuartoPublishingGroup - #WhiteLion - #FrancesLincoln for allowing me this early look at some of the places where history happened. It made me once-and-forever history buff heart happy. This will make a great gift, I might note. Now, excuse me while I go savor those lovely illustrations a bit longer. I've never been to England, so this may be as close as I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Return to Common Sense: How to Fix America Before We Really Blow It, by Leigh McGowan

  Publication Sept. 17, 2024 "Common sense is not so common." -- Voltaire This should be must reading for anyone interested in pol...