500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, June 23, 2024

Given Our History, by Kristyn J. Miller

 

Publication August 27, 2024

I loved the cover and wound up enjoying this one but, quite frankly, I wasn't initially sure. Not only did main character Clara strike me at times as more as as an angst filled school-girl in the throes of indecisive "do I love him or not" than an almost thirty-year old, but the flashbacks threw me more than I'd have expected. Once I settled into that, however, I was fine with it. Despite Clare being a hot mess much of the time, she seems to be a caring person, one who is trying to help her superficially flighty younger sister.... whether her sister wants her help or not. Clare definitely liked Teddy, Theodore Harrison, even to the point of turning him away to, in her mind, protect him. Sigh. Teddy was initially easier to like although his insecurities and issues played a role, too. Both Clare and Teddy have well-meaning, even loving parents but their ideas of success for their children don't always match what Clare and Teddy wanted or needed. 

Well, actually, I'm not sure either of them knew what they really wanted, either, although Clare hanging onto the necklace (you'll discover it's meaning as you read) should have been a big hint. As romances go, this one was not just slow, but crawled along, veering off in different directions as they were distracted by this or that. For Clare, that seemed to be a career in academics. Not only had she always loved history but her love of the subject colored Teddy's career path, too. That aspect was, to me, one of the more interesting aspects of the book, showing how chance encounters and someone else's enthusiasm for a topic could change not just their world but the world for someone else.

How does it all turn out? Well, it's a romance, so I'm sure you can guess but it's how they get to the happily ever after that both intrigued and irritated me. Neither is exactly outgoing, with Clare's surface control seeming to zoom out of control at times. Miscommunication, as in most romances, plays a role, too. Honestly, we've all probably been there, hence I can't fault that as unusual in real life, but for two such long-time friends, it was surprising. I definitely liked the whimsy of the Long Distance History Book Club idea, one of the ways Clare won Teddy over to history. You'll be astounded at the first book she gives him to read. 

Bottom line, despite some issues for me which, let's face it, may not impact your enjoyment of the book at all, I did ultimately enjoy the book, hence a 3.5 rounded to a 4 star. Loved how well the author nailed the time periods, music, books, and all. Thanks #NetGalley and #StMartin'sPress - StMartin'sGriffin for introducing me to this new-to-me author. I'll definitely be looking for her next book (if not catching up on previous ones).

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Return to Common Sense: How to Fix America Before We Really Blow It, by Leigh McGowan

  Publication Sept. 17, 2024 "Common sense is not so common." -- Voltaire This should be must reading for anyone interested in pol...