500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Grampy's Chair, by Rebecca Thomas, Coco Apunnguaq Lynge (illustrator)

 

Publication Sept. 17, 2024

Gentle. That was the word I kept coming back to to describe this book. A very gentle, quiet tale that reminds us of the circle of life. A gentle tribute to family and the ties that bond, as well as keeping them alive when our loved ones are gone. Told from the perspective of Grampy's chair, it follows us through the growth of the main character, known to the chair as My Love. From the days when Grampy cared for her through the days when she cared for him, we sense the bonds that bound them to their family. Make sure you take the time to look at the background as you read. You'll see several items common to the Indigenous culture. Keep an eye on that watch and My Love's earrings, too. 

While the story line is sparse and understated, perhaps necessitating some discussion with children, it's a lovely message. Memories of those we love who have passed on can be kept alive. I don't have a much loved chair but I do still have a shirt my grandfather wore, for instance, and while I treasure it too much to wear it often, the times I do bring him back to me. My Love seems to have found a similar path with a watch and that simple chair which holds so many memories. She's resourceful, too, having to work to rebuild the chair, so to speak, and, hey, the dog lover in me smiled seeing her dog curled up in the chair at the end, too. Memories past, present, and future live. This could provide many opportunities to discuss loss and memories with children. My thanks to #NetGalley and #AnnickPress for sharing this lovely prod of memories with me early. Loss is never easy but knowing we don't lose the memories is and important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Return to Common Sense: How to Fix America Before We Really Blow It, by Leigh McGowan

  Publication Sept. 17, 2024 "Common sense is not so common." -- Voltaire This should be must reading for anyone interested in pol...