500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, March 1, 2024

Widows on the Wine Path, by Julia Jarman

 

Publication April 3, 2024

You'll frequently be moved from grins to anger, laughter to tears, and everything in-between. There are tense moments, too, that will have you cheering on Libby, who you'll want to give a high five and hug at the end. In other words, this book is a bit of an emotional roller-coaster but it's a delightful ride. Although I haven't read the intro book for this series, thist worked well as a standalone. Libby, the central character here, is a new addition, one full of promise but, oh, my, the obstacles she allows to get in the way. That need to feel loved is strong. So, do I need to tell you there's a handsome man who sweeps Libby off her feet and away from the protective group of friends she has made since becoming a widow. The Muscateers together and are a strong force, a group that has each other's back even when it comes to what many of us would consider going the extra mile. I liked them all, even when wanting to shake some sense into Libby for missing so many signals. 

I won't detail the plot. It's far more fun to experience the highs and lows and catch up on who is who as you go, after all, so read the blurb. I do admit that at times I found myself skimming, a sign either the book wasn't holding my interest in sections or my impatience to reach the hoped for happy ending. Maybe both. It also took me awhile to sort out which of Libby's three friends was which personality, so to speak, and there were a few coincidences that seemed unlikely but, hey, were possible. Hence the 4 rating. Overall, however, aside from Monty being a jerk, everyone else was interesting, likable, and well-rounded although we didn't really get to see much from the Muscateers individual lives. I hope to find time to read the first book soon however, since that one focused on them and the original formation of the group. Their "one for all, all for one" camaraderie is both inspiring and telling. They bring different life experiences and skills, Libby's writing skill for instance. As someone who has experienced a family member with dementia, I appreciated that aspect being included as it is something many encounter or worse, experience as they age. Let's just say, I also plan to get my hands on the author's children's book, "Lovely Old Lion" soon, a guide for children on navigating that difficult to understand, even for adults, aspect of life. 

Bottom line, this book will make you think, not to mention provide some very basic red flags to notice when engaging in new relationships. Libby is lucky to have so many who have survived loss and know what she's going through and are there for her. Zelda is the dominant force this go-round and we do get her viewpoint interspersed throughout the book. Mistakes are made, scary ones, but inner strength, having friends, and, I guess you'd say, having beloved ol' friends who know the right people save the day. Thanks #NetGalley and #BoldwoodBooks for this sneak peek. I absolutely loved the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...