500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Saturday, March 2, 2024

Mummies Unwrapped, by Victoria England


 Publication April 2, 2024

Without looking it up, where does the term "mummy" come from? I have to admit, despite having read extensively about ancient Egypt and the mummification process, if I knew, I'd forgotten. It actually comes from the Persion word, go figure, "mumiya" that meant "bitumen". That word refers to the stick, black tar-like substance used in the mummification process. If you don't know how, you'll find out by reading this book. In any case, the term became associated with mummies.

So, I learned something right off the bat from this book. That's always a huge plus for me, a book that teaches me something. I do so wish I'd had this book while I was still teaching, to be honest. Not only does it cover the basics of how and why the mummification process was used, but you'll learn about Egyptian life and beliefs in the process via the combo of words and illustrations. Heck, you'll even learn about some of the oopsies made, such as how the heck did those tiny mice and lizard find their way inside the wrapped corpse. And, yikes, wait until you hear about how people once used "mummy powder" which, yes, is exactly what it sounds like. Let's just say, the once revered dead weren't always treated with reverence. 

Bottom line, if you have any interest in all things Egypt, whether the mummification process itself or how tombs were excavated and studied, this is a must. The illustrations are detailed yet simple, if that makes sense, and add greatly to the also direct, easy-to-read text. History buffs and teachers/librarians should definitely have this on their shelves. I mean, come on, they even mummified our beloved pets, so it's of interest in many ways. Side-boxes, usually highlighted by color, give more info, I should also note, and there's a solid index at the end. Thanks #NetGalley and #NosyCrowInc for spurring my interest in this fascinating era and all that went with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...