500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Monday, March 18, 2024

Lights, Camera, Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #27), by Carolyn Haines

 

Publication May 21, 2024

Much to my surprise, I have somehow managed to miss this long running series of 27 books until now. As such, I can confidently vouch that it works well as a standalone. Although I'm sure coming into the series this late means I've missed lots of character nuances and relationships, they were easily sorted out and made sense. Set in Greenville, MS, it has a distinctly Southern tone at times, including many of the names.

You're going to like Sarah Booth Delaney and the easy relationship she has with investigative partner Tinkle Bellcase Richmond. Sarah calls Tinkle the brains of the outfit, especially when it comes to sorting out financial info, though that doesn't stop her from being able to pick a lock in under three minutes or navigate some less than stellar back roads at speed. Not exactly skills many society types have. Add in Sarah's super scent dog and a rather ninja cat, not to forget Poe, the raven, and it's an interesting mix and I haven't even mentioned her mutual trust with romantic partner, Coleman, or the great relationship she seems to have with the local police. My verdict on Jitty, who seems to be a ghost, is still out as, unless I totally missed it, her presence wasn't explained nor her affinity for adopting different guises, not all of them human. Yep, I really need to sort out the "who, what, why" of Jitty. 

As for the mystery, it centers around the disappearance of two members of the film crew that go missing, one of them the writer, producer, and star. Jules, the gaffer, mysteriously goes missing first. Then, gulp, a severed foot is discovered in the river. Oh, did I forget to mention a shark is involved? A pregnant bull shark nicknamed Betty, at that. That whole scenario is a big part of the action, so I'll simply leave it at that. The disappearance of Marlon, the force behind the film, however, leads us to several other angles of the plot. Again, don't want to give away too much, but ol' money and the power that goes with it, murky family histories, and issues of racism all play a role. Whoever has control of a family history has the power to mold it, let's just say. As the plot progresses, we learn bits of history, bad and good, how one's relationship with family impacts one's current life, and quite a bit about sharks. I mean, who knew sharks might be an issue in the Mississippi River? 

Bottom line, Carolyn Haines does an excellent job of melding together a quirky but likable cast of characters and portraying them as multi-dimensional people we might know. I liked Sarah and Tinkle a great deal and found Tinkle's Southern charm and backbone (and love for her daughter) made for a good partnership. Sarah does seem to have a knack of being around when bullets fly but, hey, she doesn't back down, either. Let's just say, she wasn't fond of almost meeting Betty the shark too up-close-and-personal, though. Can't say that I blame her. Thanks #NetGalley and #StMartin'sPress - #Minotaur for introducing me to this fun series, slow as I was to jump aboard. I'll be catching up on it while eagerly awaiting the next adventure. Nice nod to Miranda James, too. Grin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...