500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Growing Up As...Benjamin Franklin, by Joel Aretha


 Oddly enough, as I sat down to read this book, I realized how little we really know about our founding fathers prior to the American Revolution. We've heard the story of George Washington and the cherry tree but unless you're an avid reader of biographies, it's doubtful you know much more about his childhood. I know I knew next to nothing about Benjamin Franklin, that's for sure. Well, true, as a history buff/major and history teacher, I certainly know his career as an elder statesman but, well, everything else earlier is rather vague, including how very young he was when he did much of it. Let's face it, our Founding Fathers didn't spring forth from nowhere, perfectly formed, wise and learned. 

Reading this, I'm pretty sure I'd have liked knowing the young Franklin.Given the elder Franklin's popularity with the ladies, he must have been good looking, personable, and full of life. I mean, the guy seems to have come up with an early form of, so to speak, wind surfing, albeit on a lake. Was I surprised a kite was involved? No. Not in the least. What I didn't fully grasp was his lack of a formal education. Instead, he spent his time doing something I love doing, reading. I loved how his parents, basically working poor, did their best for him, however. Homeschooling isn't a modern invention, you know. So, an avid reader and full of marvelously creative ideas. He must have been an amazing force even then.

I won't detail the book but it was a fun, informative read. As noted, I picked up one some things I didn't know or simply hadn't put two and two together to get four about. The Franklin of this book definitely isn't the rather "portly old man" depicted on our hundred dollar bills but a living, breathing person, one we'd surely enjoy being around. You'll get to know the real Benjamin Franklin through his formative years until his death in 1790. History buffs and teachers, this is one you should add to your bookshelf. It'd make a great gift, too, for an inquisitive, maybe inventive child in your life. Thanks #BookSirens and author #JoelAretha for sharing this delightful story on a man I thought I knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...