500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, March 3, 2024

Summers at the Saint, by Mary Kay Andrews

 

Publication May 7, 2024

First, an admission. I clicked on the "request to review" button for this one based on two things, the summer at the beach type cover and an expectation of a fun romance from an author I've loved for years. Well, I got what I expected but, wow, way more. As it turned out, given my current leaning toward mysteries, this one was the perfect combo of romance, summer sun and fun, and, oh, my, murder and suspense.

There is a lot going on at the beginning, with characters seeming to come and go rapidly, so it did take me awhile to get my bearings. What appears to be a simple story line at first, Traci Eddings' efforts to save the venerable "Saint", ie St. Cecelia hotel/resort, quickly evolves into multiple story lines and characters you'll love. Well, most of them. Others, um, not so much. We meet Traci herself as a child of 6-7 when she gets her first glimpse of the Saint from her grandfather's simple fishing boat. It's quickly established that they, Traci and her family aren't wealthy enough to vacation here. But, she can work there. To cut to the chase, ah, romance. Traci and Hoke, the heir, meet, fall in love, and marry. All is right in their world...until it isn't. Hoke dies and Traci, barely accepted by his upper class family, struggles. Then odd things start happening, including a mysterious death.

That is where the plot takes off and, oh, my, buckle your seat belt. I won't detail the plot further, I'm sure others have done a far better job, but will say that I found what I was expecting and then some. Yes, there is romance. There's also family dynamics, most difficult, and social divides, not to mention that pesky murder. The ending is action and emotion packed, not to mention with more than a bit of romance tossed in, too, so fasten your seat belt and enjoy the ride. Thanks #NetGalley and #StMartin'sPress for this fun, romantic, and suspenseful early peek at the goings on at the Saint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...