500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Saturday, March 9, 2024

Race to Kindness, by Orion Jean, Darshika Varma (Illustrator)

 

 

Available May 7, 2024     Audio book   14 minutes, including bonus info/interview with author

What does it mean to be kind? How does one be kind? This absolutely delightful book has some very simple, direct answers to both. It's both inspiring and packed full of thoughtful, useful ideas, largely based on the idea that while we can't all save the world, we can make a difference. I was absolutely blown away to read about author Orion Jean, who won the 2021 TIME Kid of the Year award. That's all the more impressive since he entered only after being prodded by a teacher when only one day remained until the deadline. I had the audio version of this, read by the author, so make sure you listen all the way through to the short recap of Orion Jean's life till now as well as a very well done interview with him at the end. This young man is very well spoken and deserves to be widely heard. His narration was excellent and his kind voice was perfect.

I won't detail the book, it's one you simply need on your bookshelf whether child or adult, but was impressed with the reminder that one small, positive action is better than none at all. For example, that encouraging 4th grade teacher surely changed Orion Jean's life by believing in and nudging him to excel. The term ripple is used frequently in the interview, I will note, as in one small ripple is how bigger waves begin, a handy reminder that even ones smallest efforts can have an impact far beyond your individual reach. Kindness isn't measured and I loved the idea that some of the suggestions, done in lyrical, rhyming fashion, I should note, are very simple, from calling a friend to see how they are to a simple smile, things we can all do. Bottom line, I highly recommend this book. My thanks to Orion Jean, such a wise young man, and #NetGalley and #ZonderKidz for putting it out there for the world. I will be checking for other work from this author, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...