500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, March 15, 2024

The Shadow of War: A Novel of the Cuban Missile Crisis, by Jeff Shaara

 


Publication May 14, 2024

Wow. I was unnerved after-the-fact as I read this book. You see, I largely grew up in Florida, a mere 90 miles away from Cuba as the news kept reminding us. Although I was either too or too naive to fully grasp the sense of fear many adults knew, it still made an impact. While I've read history books about the time, there's been a sort of filter between the events of those readings and me as a reader, so to speak. This one tore down that filter. You are there. You are living this nightmare. Shaara puts us, to paraphrase a line from Hamilton, in the rooms where it happened. And, unlike my young self, I'm old enough now to shiver as I realize how very, very close we came to annihilation. That's the power of Jeff Shaara's writing style. While historical fiction, he evokes that "you are there" sense, relying on in-depth research and extensive readings to create the scenes that reveal how close we came to the edge.

I won't detail the cat-and-mouse games that lead us to that point as, quite frankly, I'd be depriving you of experiencing the scenario as it unfolds by trying to even hit the highlights. Trust me, there are many, from the opening scenes revolving about the Bay of Pigs fiasco to the aftermath, revealing not only how Kennedy's stand paid off -- and it came close to not doing so -- so what happened to each of the players of the story. One thing I will note, however, is how this showed the growing maturity of both John and Robert Kennedy, their ability to learn from mistakes, as well as their ability to accept their responsibility for the situation. The thoughts attributed to Joseph Russo, another real character you'll get to know well throughout the story, at the end should also evoke thought. 

History buffs or those who lived through this should grab a copy of this book as soon as possible. If old enough, you'll be compelled to read, even as you shudder after the fact, realizing how close we came to not growing up. Teachers, history teachers in particular, of which I was one, you definitely need to read this book and make sure it's on library shelves. Thank you to #NetGalley and #StMartin'sPress for sharing this early glimpse of, well, what I'm rather glad happened too early in my life to have left much impact. I hope we never come face to face with possible annihilation again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...