500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, October 26, 2023

Anna and Champ: The Adventure of Getting a Puppy - Storybook for Kids, by Brittany Osmers

 

I immediately loved how Anna's impatience to get her very own puppy was illustrated. The illustrations themselves are detailed and realistic and capture her moods nicely. Champ somehow didn't come across as quite as real looking to me as Anna but, hey, I'm a sucker for a cute dog any time. In fact, maybe it helps make it easier for the child to picture his or her own dog rather than a specific dog. This should be a fun read/listen for younger children who dream of getting a dog or perhaps have just had one added to their home. Anna's excitement is so real that I found myself quickly flipping through pages to see the moment Champ arrived in her life. Anna and I both got to practice patience. Champ seems to have told her his name, as most dogs will eventually if you're patient, but that shows the bond is immediate and tight. Anna actually looks surprised her mother didn't hear Champ tell her his name, in fact, further emphasizing that Champ was meant to be Anna's dog. They make a fun, energetic pair. Anna even seems to have lost not just a shoe but her sock in one fun moment, in fact. 

In a subtle way, the book shows that owning a dog isn't simply feeding it and leaving it alone for the rest of the day other than some idle pats on the head. Anna and Champ seem to immediately be tied at the hip and spends lots of time with him. And, yes, for those wondering, he gets to sleep not just on the bed but under the covers. Grin. Again, a dog is part of the family, so a nice, subtle way of showing responsibility and caring doesn't end at sundown. I have to admit to momentarily being bemused by the use of printed words on certain page, usually depicting a sound like clap, shh, beep beep, stomp, up and down, boing boing, and so on. Then it dawned on me. That allows the child being read to to become an active part of the story as they mimic the printed words' sounds. Also, depending on the age of the child, see if they know what the outfit Anna and Champ wear while she sneakily shows him where the treats are stored signifies. Nope, not telling. Anna and her mother have obviously given getting a dog a great deal of thought and planned ahead with toys and supplies and, yes, Champ wears a collar sporting a tag. Another nice hint of responsible pet ownership.  

Bottom line, a warm, heartfelt read for both parent and child. Even better, it models good pet ownership. I was a tad worried, I must admit, when I didn't spy a fence immediately in the illustrations but, yes, there is a fence where Champ is allowed to romp. That said, I think my favorite picture was the castle in the sky, so to speak, as Anna reads to Champ in bed. I guess my fur girl isn't the only pet who gets read to, huh? It's a simple, short read with lovely illustrations and would make a lovely gift, too, I might note. Thanks #NetGalley and #IndependentlyPublished for sharing Anna and Champ's fun first day together. It brought back some memories for my dog-loving self and should be a hit with children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...