500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, October 8, 2023

Marilyn Monroe: A Photographic Life, by Jenna Glatzer

 

Publication Nov. 7, 2023

When you get the book, perhaps you'll be as struck as I was by the contrast between the smiling baby photo early on and the one chosen to end the book of a sexy but vulnerable looking Marilyn. That ability to be both was a secret I'm not sure even she knew how was done but it made men both lust after and want to protect her. The joy of the smiling baby seemed long gone.

I won't detail her story. The book blurb does an excellent job.  Not only have there been many versions of it written, some originating from her, others the studios, others....who knows? I'll just say, it's all there and the photos do capture many of those mentioned in her life as well as some of the now legendary photos. I liked that the author presented the material in a largely straight-forward manner without getting lost in the controversy and conspiracy theories that so often take over stories about Monroe. In other words, while not ignoring the factual happenings, they weren't wallowed in, either. I did know that Monroe spent time in an orphanage, I'll note, but the author managed to convey the sense of being abandoned that this left in Monroe's soul, a feeling of not being loved or wanted that touched so many elements throughout her life.

So, overall, while a somber read, it's a satisfying read. The photos were obviously chosen with great care and fit the topic at hand well. Chapter titles give you a hint of what to expect in each section, such as "Bases Loaded", "We're All Afraid", and "Incomplete". I found that last one particularly saddening, gotta admit, as it so succinctly described her life. There's also a filmography and image credit section as well as one sharing info on the author. I tended to dawdle along, flipping back and forth between text and photos, frequently backtracking for another look at someone mentioned, but overall found it an easy, fairly quick read. Read at your own pace, it's worth it. Thank you #NetGalley and #QuartoPublishingGroup - #ChartwellBooks for allowing me this early peek.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...