500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Saturday, October 14, 2023

Knitmare on Beech Street, by Peggy Ehrhart

 

Publication Nov. 28, 2023

Like visiting old friends. Pamela and Bettina felt like characters that could easily step right off the page and sit down around my kitchen table to enjoy chatting and laughing about life in general. I don't knit but I'm sure they could teach me. They could also teach me a thing or two about persistence and sleuthing out answers. Now, true, Pamela would probably rather Bettina wasn't so persistent in probing her romantic life but, well, that's what friends are for. They frequently know us almost better than we know ourselves. Bettina uses her reporter persona as an excuse to keep probing but it's obvious she's as invested in finding answers as Pamela, who frequently seemed just along for the ride. Both are caring and smart, however, and bring those qualities to the the solving of a murder. Even Pamela's daughter Penny shows some knack for sleuthing. Who killed new resident Tassie? That question and more kept me guessing until the big reveal. Oh, I was sure I had it figured out but, nope. I didn't see this one coming but should have. 

Could Tassie have actually died of fright? Turns out, that's possible, albeit unlikely. She already knew the house was supposedly haunted and her career even revolved about debunking such stories. How about the mega-snoopy, apparently lonely neighbor, Win? Why was she so invested in the murder? How about the neighbor on the other side? Between his almost obsessive cleaning of the driveway and quick closing of the trunk of his car and garage door when Pamela and Bettina approach, not to mention he can't seem to account for the absence of his wife, he seems suspect. Could it have been someone from Tassie's past? Why are there eerie sounds and lights emerging from the house? Is it really haunted? What secrets might the old house be hiding? Who... oops, more than enough teasers. 

Since the fun is in figuring it out on your own, I'll just say you will enjoy the relaxed, occasionally slow pace of this book. Initially that annoyed me but, as I fell into the story, much like the almost mesmerizing rhythm of knitting, I actually felt myself relaxing into the rhythm and pace. Just be sure you have a snack or two on hand as the goodies discussed will make you hungry. And, don't forget to check out the recipes at the end, not to mention the knitting patterns. Photos available on the author's website. There also seems to be a slow build of romance between Pamela and handyman Pete, formerly of Wall Street. I enjoyed his role in the story and hope to see him stick around. I mean, not only do Pamela and he share the same first initial, but their last name is already the same, Paterson. Somewhere inside of me the hidden teenage girl gushed that "it's meant to be". So, thanks #NetGalley and #KensingtonBooks - #KensingtonCozies for allowing me to visit Pamela and her wonderful circle of friends again, including the cats. I mean, can't leave out Ginger, Catrina, and Precious. Ha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...