500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Tuesday, October 24, 2023

The Christmas Stranger: A Short Story, by Leslie Budewitz

 

Available Nov. 14, 2023

We'd all like to imagine a benevolent angel or being hovering about to help in our direst times. In this case, think "It's a Wonderful Life" and you've captured the sense of wonder and hope Budewitz offers in this short story. Erin Murphy is kind to an unknown stranger. Her efforts to, first, find the mysterious stranger and, second, return the marvelous gift and thank him, lead her into a bit of a mystery: Who is he and why does he keep disappearing? Even angels, if the stranger is such, can't save everyone but we can take away the idea that kindness, no matter how small and seemingly insignificant, is felt in many ways. We can all make a difference.

I don't want to detail the story further, it's quite short as it is, but will say it made me smile. It left me feeling warm and snug and, well, wishing the story were longer to prolong that feeling. Thank you so much #NetGalley and #BeyondThePagePublishing for sharing this wonderful moment of caring and hope with us all. Sometimes we all need a reminder that life is full of wondrous things, both big and small, and to make our lives a gift to others, too.  Now I think I'm going to go find my copy of "It's a Wonderful Life" and sit it aside for later viewing.

1 comment:

  1. And your comments are making ME smile on this snowy October morning in Montana -- thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...