500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, September 24, 2023

The Bruce Springsteen Vault: An illustrated biography, by Meredith Ochs

 

Available Nov. 7, 2023

Although never an intense fan, one who simply has to know every detail and lyric, I do consider myself a fan. Heck, according to my family tree's research, Bruce Springsteen is probably a distant cousin, so I've most definitely paid attention. Hey, he's "The Boss" after all. 

Thus, while I was already familiar with much of the story, the author still managed to share both information and photos that I'd never seen. In other words, don't think you know it all. And, the photos, both new and old, are worth spending some time with to get a visual impression of his growth. You'll also be reminded of why so many of his early songs seem to focus on the idea of escape. That said, while his personal life is touched on, the focus remains on him as a man and this music.

I'm not even going to try to share a summary of his story, that's what this book is for, but will say that it's an excellent look into his life. I had an early digital copy and don't know whether it'll be updated to include the last few years or not, however. Nor did I have access to the extras mentioned in the blurb, so this is a review of the text alone and why I have dinged it .5, meaningless in the grand scheme. The tone is respectful and it's obvious the author is a fan. It never becomes gushy, however. Just matter-of-fact, straight-forward, just like the man himself. No gossip, in other words. People in his life are quoted at appropriate times, including his now wife. The photos are tasteful yet show his growth and associations with others in his life.  

Bottom line, this is an excellent intro or follow-up read on Bruce Springsteen the man and his music. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 4.5/5  Thanks #NetGalley and ##QuartoPublishingGroup - #ChartwellBooks for allowing me early access. It's easy to envision this one being a treasured bit of memorabilia in people's lives or, hint-hint, perfect gift for a fellow fan.

 


 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...