500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, September 22, 2023

The Bear and her Book, by Frances Tosdevin, Sophia O'Connor (Illustrator)


 Publication Nov. 7, 2023

Before I say anything else, I must say that the illustrations are lovely. The bear is realistic without being scary, if that makes sense. I mean, how scary can a bear (seemingly a grizzly at that) be with a tote bag strung around its neck carrying her favorite book about how to be wise. It proves quite helpful, I will note. In any case, the artwork showing the bear atop a mountain with what appears to be the aurora behind it is absolutely lovely. I live in Alaska where the aurora dances above me quite often, so I do know auroras. Grin.

The story itself is an easy, lyrical rhyme and takes us through bear's adventures as she seeks to find out where she truly belongs. Her search takes her through everything from a jungle to a desert before she ultimately finds her place. Do I need to tell you books are involved? She uses her book to help others and make friends, one of them a crocodile that even gives her a ride through the watery swamp! I could visualize parents reading this to their children as they look for things in the illustrations.... two bunnies under a crescent moon, for instance.... and talk about why the bear keeps moving on despite making new friends wherever she goes. She makes friends by being a friend, being helpful, so to speak, and children can learn from that aspect of the story. Needless to say, they'll come away with the idea that books are wonderful tools, both for the real world and ones imagination. I nicked the book .5 for not explaining why the humans she encounters show no fear but overall loved this one. 4.5 rounded to 5 stars. 

Thanks #NetGalley and #NorthStarEditions - #JollyFishPress for introducing me to this inquisitive bear with a thirst for knowledge and finding her place in the world. Hmm, sounds a bit like some children we all might know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...