500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, September 8, 2023

Be More Dog, by Caroline Crowe, Carlos Velez (Illustrator)

 

Publication October 3, 2023

As I type this, my own dog is sprawled on the floor, her head resting on my foot. Is she happy? From the contented smile on her face, I'd say yes. Dogs tend to be happy, happy in the moment. She isn't being active, begging for a treat, or even checking out her front yard for monsters. She's simply enjoying the moment of togetherness. Sam the dog of this story is a pro at not just finding joy in about everything from a run with his boy to wallowing in a muddy puddle (with his boy, I might add).

Sam's boy was sad when his father left for work but followed Sam's example and found happiness in the everyday things about them. True, the mom would have probably preferred they skip the mud puddle but, hey, happiness doesn't always come in a neat package. This book will remind you that happiness isn't something big but that we just have to be open to it in the little things as we go about our day. Fortunately, Sam is ready to lead his boy to a day of fun as they find happiness. As Sam also shows us, we don't have to be perfect at things. We can still simply enjoy them.

One of the things I've come to adore about children's books is the depth behind their often seemingly simplicity. This one is one of those. The illustrations are fun, with Sam and his boy looking like real children who've been romping around together for the day might, and, more importantly, shows how important family is to Sam's boy. I loved the moment of sharing with the grandmother that was prompted by Sam's actions and the look of joy when the dad comes home seems genuine on everyone's faces. In other words, this book not only shows us that we need to be open to happiness and be alert to find it all about us but brought a smile to my face. I'd say that makes it a "good boy," er, book. 

Thanks #NetGalley and #FlorisBooks for letting me spend some happy moments with Sam and his boy. Now I think I'll go scratch my own dog's ears and give her another happy moment to savor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...