500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Murder Uncorked (Cece Barton Mystery, #1), by Maddie Day

 

Publication Oct. 24, 2023

I first met CeCe Barton as part of the "Christmas Mittens Murder" three-story collection that also feature  Lee Hollis and Liz Ireland. I liked CeCe then and was delighted to have the chance to get a sneak peek at her true debut. I do wonder, however, if those who didn't read an early copy of the Christmas collection might be confused by references to CeCe helping solve a previous murder in that books collection. That said, the author does her usual excellent job of introducing the characters and setting, in the process doing an excellent job bringing out the vibe of California's wine country. The characters are diverse, including in age. For instance, CeCe's neighbor is a 90-year old who keeps his fabulous garden up as well as urging CeCe to pursue her dream of writing. A former journalist, he offers her the use of his writing nook, so to speak. 

As with any new series, it was slightly slow to evolve as we met the characters, some of whom sound like, well, real characters. Perhaps the most important in CeCe's life is her twin sister, Allie, who is married and has ywins with very different personalities. CeCe's relationship with her own daughter is distant although one gets hints that they may find common ground in the future. There's also a hint of possible romance, so keep your ears (eyes?) tuned for that as the series evolves.

I won't detail the plot as others will have done a far better job than I can. I'll simply say there were quite a few suspects given the victim's unlikable personality. Heck, the detective in charge even gives CeCe a long look as a suspect based on her less than harmonious business dealings with him, Victor. This sense of being watched as a suspect is ultimately what drives CeCe to investigate. Unfortunately, although she shows common sense and caution, you know it's inevitable she'll find herself in danger. It was interesting to see CeCe's relationship with Detective Sgt. Kelly Daniell, by the way, and brought Daniell to life as a real person, not just another detective for the amateur sleuth to square off against. That is one of this author's main strengths, creating well-rounded characters that add to the equally well-crafted plot. I'm going to be curious to see how this relationship grows...or doesn't. If you're like me, you'll find yourself quickly being hooked on the story and wanting to know more about CeCe's small town and friends. 

Bottom line, as I looked back after finishing up, I had to admire how cleverly the author wove clues into the story, both of guilt and innocence, while doing all the necessary background reveals that make a new series work. I think I was as invested in getting to know the characters and backstories as I was in figuring out the murderer. Thanks #NetGalley and #KensingtonBooks - #KensingtonCozies for reintroducing me to CeCe, who I'd found intriguing in the Christmas story collection. I'll be looking forward to following her adventure in California's wine country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...