500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, September 7, 2023

Snow Place for Murder (Mountain Lodge Mysteries #3), by Diane Kelly

 

Publication Oct. 24, 2023

Despite a slow beginning, I found myself ultimately enjoying the story. I made a mental note at one point, somewhere along the line of chapter 8 or 9, that nothing much was happening. I was actually rather enjoying the slow pace, however, even while impatient to "get on with it", as it allowed us to get to know the main characters revolving around Misty and Rocky, including their families. Heck, we even get to know the cat, as Yeti narrates a few chapters. Admittedly, they didn't offer much to the story since no one knew what Yeti was thinking, but they were cute and cat lovers will surely enjoy the input. 

I won't detail the plot as the blurb does a good job, but will say that the Blue Ridge Mountain area setting sounded lovely. I enjoyed the sub-plot dealing with the conflict between those desiring development on a grand scale and those advocating for the preservation of the wildlife and natural setting. Such issues are never simple and they aren't here. Other side-stories were nicely woven into the mix, too, and remind us of the importance of family. While not heavy-handed, there was humor and my favorite scene, probably because as an Alaska I could so easily visualize it, was of Pebbles (no lie, that's the nickname of Rocky's daughter) struggling against winter elements to make a food delivery practically across the street. If you happen to live in a snow-free area, trust me, it's accurate.

Bottom line, I like the characters and particularly enjoyed getting to know the extended family. Misty's sons get a quick course in growing up, that's for sure, and her relationship with her former husband shows that divorce doesn't have to translate to hating each other. In other words, we learn about the characters not only through their actions but through their personal interactions, too. A fun mystery that kept me guessing...oh, okay, I didn't know for sure until the final reveal.... and was a reasonably quick, fun read. Thanks #NetGalley and #StMartin'sPress - #StMartin'sPaperbacks for letting me spend some time hanging out in the Blue Ridge Mountains. This Alaskan felt right at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...